Monday, November 16, 2015

THE Best Beef Stew

It's not the healthiest beef stew, I'll give some suggestions throughout to make it healthier, but it IS packed with tons of fresh veggies and protein! And according to myself and my husband, it's absolutely THE best!


Ingredients:
2 Pounds Beef for Stew
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tbsp Lawry's Seasoning Salt (cut this down to 1tsp if sodium is a concern for you)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp black pepper 
1 large onion, diced
3-4 carrots, peeled and diced
3-4 potatoes (I use what I have from my garden, can be red, Idaho, whichever you prefer), washed and dices
2-3 stalks celery, diced 
2 bay leaves
2 cups beef stock (get the low sodium kind if sodium is a concern for you)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (skip or cut in half is sodium is a concern for you and substitute water)

***There is a lot of sodium in this recipe so taking out some here and there with my suggestions will definitely change the taste, but it will be pretty tasty!

Directions:
1. In large ziploc bag combine whole wheat flour, Lawry's seasoning salt, and beef for stew. Zip up and shake until beef is evenly coated.
2. In a large non-stick skillet on medium heat add olive oil.
3. Using tongs place the coated beef in pan, browning each side. Once browned, transfer to crockpot.
4. In same large pan, sauté onion until translucent then transfer to crockpot.
5. In same large pan, add beef stock and Worcestershire sauce and stir until well mixed. Turn off heat.
6. Add celery, carrots, potatoes and bay leaves to crockpot.
7. Pour broth mixture into the crockpot and cook for 6-8 hours on a low setting. (I typically set my crockpot for 6 hours and it determines the temp for me)
***Don't forget to remove the bay leaves before you eat it*** 

Enjoy!





No comments :

Post a Comment